Re: some kind kiosk system

on Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 01:13:53AM -0700, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) wrote:
> Justinas <justinas.g@patikimi.lt> writes:
>
> > 	There is an computer game club with 49 computers running
> > linux. I would be glad to hear any suggestions how to build entirely
> > system that forbids users to execute any other programs or scripts,
> > only games, browsers and some office programs. The main aim of this,
> > to keep computer out of trash and make administrators life
> > easer. Could somebody share experience on some kind computer kiosk
> > systems. Any suggestions, critics are acceptable.
>
> Don't install more than you need installed.  That'll get you about 90%
> there.  The last 10% can be taken care of with groups and file
> permissions, or if you want to overkill it, the ACL permission support
> in 2.6 might be of help (however, I don't use ACL support, don't know
> how well it works, and have more or less been waiting for success or
> horror stories which have yet to materialize from what I've seen).

...user state in ramdisk and/or copied into the user's account at
startup.  And a watchdog to slay the user if critical files disappear or
are changed.

One of the better descriptions I've seen of a Linux Kiosk configuration
is JWZ's DNA Lounge systems.  San Francisco nightclub, typically filled
with several hundred highly individualistic patrons under varying
influences astrological to zoological, and overall both reliable and
usable.  GIYF.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.