Re: /cdrom vs. /media/cdrom

Hello

Frank Uepping (<trash@spamgourmet.com>) wrote:

> on Sarge there are many duplicating mount points for peripherals,
> like:
>         /cdrom
>         /cdrom0
>         /floppy
>         /media/cdrom
>         /media/cdrom0
>         /media/floppy
>         etc.
>
> Why are the duplicates?

On my system only /cdrom was created.

> What is the preferred mount point / or /media for peripherals?
> Is there any document about this issue?

If I remember correctly, the file system hierarchy standard says mount
points for removable media should be in /media, so I guess this is the
preferred way. Of course, you can change this to whatever you like on
your own system. If you remove the stuff in /, you probably also have
to reconfigure apt if you installed from CD or DVD, e.g. by adding

Acquire::cdrom::mount "/media/cdrom";

to /etc/apt/apt.conf.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen