Re: How to de-Grub?

On Thu 22 July 2004 10:20, Stephen Cradock wrote:
> OK, so it's a Windows question, not a Linux one...
>
> BUT in case anyone else here ever has the same problem, here's the
> fix:
>
> Recap - I allowed Grub to install itself in my MBR while trying to
> install sarge, and then found I couldn't wipe out the sarge
> installation because that left Grub without its menu.lst config file
> for booting anything; so how was I to get rid of Grub so that I could
> reliably boot Windows XP on start-up, or boot to various Linux
> flavors using CD or floppy boot disks. (I had to re-install sarge
> just to get at menu.lst!!!)

In fact you could have placed menu.lst in a Windows partition - I did
that once because of some Windowsian funniness when it came to booting
a mixed IDE & SCSI system.

In a typical set up, the Windows C: drive would be (hd0,0) and, say, C:
\grub\menu.lst would be (hd0,0)/grub/menu.lst

Besides all that, you could still have booted Windows from the GRUB
command line by issuing the following series of commands:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Then gone into Windows, created the aforementioned C:\grub\menu.lst,
then rebooted and tell GRUB that that's where it wanted to look for a
menu.lst.

Of course it does help to have a GRUB boot floppy too... :)

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

If you've lost something, you had to lose it, not loose it.