pppd - only 7 bit chars

[sarge with vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-686]

I am in the process of switching from RH9 to Debian/sarge on my home
machine (yes!).  Under RH, I use 'kppp' successfully to login to my
ISP (university) modem pool ... no problems.

However, no matter how I create the PPP connection under 'sarge'
(/usr/sbin/pppd, kppp, ...), I can get no further that the
authorization stage.

Using 'pppd' is giving me the most control/info about my attempts.
Here's what I see in /var/log/messages (date/time &c eliminated):

      <chat script sends "ppp", username, and password>
      ... ... ...
      LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
      Connection terminated.
      Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
      Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0              <=============
      Hangup (SIGHUP)
      Exit.

I have searched and read anything I could find on the WWW, but have
encountered which has solved my problem.

What is *most* perplexing is the different behavior compared to RH9
(kernel 2.4.20-31.9).  What could be different between the two?

I'm sure that the Debian crowd will have useful ideas!

Thanks,

--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj