Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:04:27 -0700, Paul Yeatman <pyeatman@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Hi again.  I'm responding to my own post.  It wasn't until today, weeks
> after my original post, that I got more clues as to is going on
> concerning flash causing Mozilla to freeze on my Debian Sarge system.
> The problem appears to be with esd.  Esd (appears to be ) used by
> default by gnome and is started--esd -nobeeps--when you log in.  This
> works fine with everything: xmms, xine, etc.  The only case in which it
> doesn't work is when the flash plugin is invoked from a web browser.
> The animation will soon stop and the browser is toast.  I feel
> fortunate today to discover that if esd is first killed before
> going to a website running flash, the flash runs fine albeit without
> sound.  If "auto_spawn=0" is changed to "1" in /etc/esound/esd.conf and
> any esd processes are first killed, going to a flash website will
> automatically start an esd process and flash will play normally (with
> sound!) but then nothing else, such as xmms, will work until the flash
> completes and the esd processes automatically completes (after 5
> seconds in my case).  This kinda defeats the point of esd, doesn't it?
> Can anyone help me out with what is going on here?  As all other
> audio/video applications I run simultaneously use the inital esd
> process started by gnome, why can't flash?  Should I force gnome to use
> something other than esd?

This is, actually, a known problem. Do dpk-reconfigure -plow
mozilla-browser and you will get an option asking you to choose a
wrapper for esd. It is explained there that the plugin locks /dev/dsp
which causes esd to hang. So choose a wrapper here and the problem
*should* be resolved.

greets,
Wim