Re: access / mount harddisk with data

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 12:13, Thijs Koetsier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know how I can access / mount a used harddisk in Debian, so
> I can read back the data on the Harddisk? I can only find information
> about adding a new harddisk to Linux.
>
> The harddisk comes from another PC which doesn't work anymore, but the
> disk should be okay and I would like to retrieve some data.

Connect the harddisk to the system
Find out which device it is (hda = Primary master, hdb= Primary Slave,
hdc = secondary master, hdd = sec. slave etc)

Find out what partition you want (fdisk /dev/hdx; p; q)
Or if you have the file /proc/partitions check that file.

Mount the partition, if it is a windows filesystem use either ntfs or
vfat.

mount /dev/hdx1 /mnt -t vfat

See the 'mount', 'fdisk' and 'mount.vfat' manual pages

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT