Re: DVD Writing HOW TO

On 19. July 2004 at 6:32PM -0500,
Patrick Albuquerque <patrickq@shaw.ca> wrote:

> > Hi ppl, got to put a dvd rw and cd-rw working in the same
> > computer, i have allready a cd-rw working but have no clue
> > where to start with the dvd rw, i have install the dvdplusrw
> > package, by the way im runing woody, but the docs are not as
> > clear as I need them. In some places it talks about a kernel
> > patch but in others it claims that it can be done without
> > one.  Does any one knows a good howto to go streight to the
> > dvd rw config, I only need it to write data no video o
> > anything else.

The kernel patch isn't necessary if you'd just like the dvd
writer to work like an "oversized" cd writer.  I think you need
the patch if you want to do something like "cp file
/mnt/dvd/". The debian package has been renamed dvd+rw-tools
in testing and unstable.

> Works ok for me with stock 2.6 kernel.
>
> # growisofs -Z /dev/scd0/ -R -J ~/backup

This also works without ide-scsi emulation (ide-cd interface):

$ growisofs -Z /dev/hdd -R -J ~/backup