Print black and color on HP

I use a HP PSC 1205 "all-in-one" printer. I have installed the packages
"hpijs" and "hpoj".

If I configure CUPS as the hpoj docs says:
http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/hpoj-0.91/doc/setup-print.html
(Use PTAL device as autodetected by CUPS)
Then I cannot print. The job goes to queue, and nothing else happens. It
doesn't matter if hpoj daemon is running, or if I restart the printer.

But if I configure CUPS to use device
"usb://Hewlett-Packard/psc%201200%20series?serial=blahblah", AND hpoj
daemon is NOT running, it works.

Just one problem: In CUPS (or the software I'm printing from) I can
select if I want to use color cartridge or black cartridge. I want to
use both. I often need color, but then black is just a dark grey.

The description of the package hpijs says that "It includes the
so-called rss patch, to use pure black ink instead of composite black in
printers that don't do color map conversion in firmware".

It looks like the feature is there, but it's not working.

Any tips on why I can't print black AND color on the same page?

BTW: To scan, I need to start the hpoj daemon. While it's running, I
cannot print. When I have finished scanning and stopped the hpoj daemon,
I also need to restart the printer before I can print. It also works if
I disconnect an reconnect the USB cable.
Do you know a way to do this with software, so I can script the whole
process?

--
Mvh.

Niels Andersen