Re: [OT] Err, how do I turn off screen blanking

Matthias Czapla wrote:
On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 09:32:42PM -0400, Randy W. Sims wrote:

Matthias Czapla wrote:

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 08:48:32PM -0400, Randy W. Sims wrote:

How do I turn off or customize the time out for the "screen saver" that blanks the screen? I thought it might be part of the power management features, but couldn't find any docs. Note: this is the blanking that occurs both at the console and within X, it's not the screen saver.

Don't know about the console but the builtin X screen saver can be
controlled with the xset command. Note that additionally to the
"s" option the "dpms" option may be useful if your monitor supports
it.

I've tried:

xset -dpms
xset s noblank
xset s off

without success. My screen still blanks every couple of minutes.

Maybe your window manager/desktop environment override it? What
does "xset q" say after entering the above commands and after the
screen blanked?

That doesn't seem to be the problem:

pieria:/home/randys# xset q
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Disabled