Re: Newbie problems galore

Well I guess I'm gonna reply to two people at once...

--- "David A. Cobb" <Superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
> Not a very successful day!!!
>
> Trying to go with the fact that TUN driver sees my
> network controller.
>
> Two occurrences of "Warning" Failure trying to run

Warning *doesn't* mean failure... and having to use
--force is a bad sign.  Are you sure you're doing it
the right way?  (I can't recommend anything, not sure
what you are doing.)

> chroot /target dpkg --force-depends \
> 	/var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.0.2_i386.deb \
> 	(same basepath)/base-passwd_3.4.1_i386.deb
>

>     and several more where all I get is "debootstrap
> exited with an
> error (return code 1)"
>
> I was getting the debootstrap errors before, seeming
> to be related to
> the way I mounted my partitions.

???  Once you've got things set up, you should use
/etc/fstab - try 'nano /etc/fstab' as root, to edit
it.
for one-time mounts, use 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda1
/mnt/windows' where hda1 is a partition [1], and
/mnt/windows is an empty folder which you have
permissions for.  You must be root to use mount this
way.

> Also, eliminating drivers may have helped in the
> past.  When there is no
> error info, it's hard to guess what correction was a
> good idea and what
> wasn't.
>
> Doesn't the Base-System create process leave a log
> behind anywhere???
> David A. Cobb wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >    I purchased a CD set of "Debian 3.0 "Woody"
> Official" and started
> > to install it.
> >    First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the
> Official kernel on the CD
> > is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21
> and the Debian
> > archive has nVidia patches for 2.4.26.  My plan is
> to go to .26, but
> > in the meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't
> access my NIC, so
> > all that stuff requires rebooting into Windows.
> So, my first
> > question: given the kernel images on
> > $MIRROR/Debian/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386,
> how do I change my
> > kernel?
> >
> >    I need to pass things back-and-forth between
> Linux and Windoze.  I
> > see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for
> the life of me, I
> > can't find a trace of the software.  It's really

See comments above, and [1] below.
To make sure your kernel can use it, (-bf24 almost
certainly can) type 'cat /proc/filesystems' and read
the output... one of the lines should be vfat, which
is fat32/long file names.

> bad to have to play
> > games with tar at both sides of the route in order
> not to munge up the
> > "magic" pathnames.  PLEASE don't tell me that the
> evil beast of
> > Redmond has buried VFAT under a patent claim!!  If

They are trying!!!

> not, please, where
> > can I find it?
> >
> >    Right now, I've managed to hork up my package
> data so dpkg gets
> > hung up trying to fix things.  My best bet seems
> to be to restart from
> > scratch.  How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to
> clean my machine
> > totally, or what files should I remove to make all
> this stuff go
> > away?   Or, would it really be quicker to re-init
> my partitions and
> > start again from the CD?

It might be... if you have a spare hard disk laying
around, I would do an install on it, and work out the
kinks/practice...  If you haven't done much
personalization or got much data on the debian
partition, I would just erase it and try again.

> >    Thanks, all, for your patience.  I hope I see
> some answers before I
> > do something more silly than what I've already
> done here.
> >

> --
> David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access
> Advocate
> "By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions
> a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French,
> Tr.
> Life is too short to tolerate crappy software!

[1] partitions - use something like cfdisk to find out
which number corresponds to which partition;
alternately just go through the numbers (hda1 thru
hda9) until you don't get an error that it isn't vfat,
then do 'ls /mnt/windows' and see if everything looks
right.

Good luck.

Mark