Re: Login Shell/Profile: Stop the Madness

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 08:04:39PM +0200, Matthias Czapla wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 01:20:13PM -0400, Daniel B. wrote:
> >
> > But what the display manager should do at some point is start a
> > login shell (that is, start the user's selected shell, with the
> > standard login flag for shell programs so that shell reads the
> > user's login-time files).
> >
> > That's what logging in to a virtual console does.
>
> Yes, and then this login shell keeps running and is the parent of any
> subsequently started processes. If the display manager just starts a
> login shell then this shell is unable to change the environment of
> it's parent (the dm) and if this shell exits everything will be
> exactly as it was before it has been run.
>
> So we would need to start a login shell that will become the parent
> process of everything else that you would like to have an initialized
> environment. I don't know how a dm works internally to say if this is
> possible though :|

I'll admit I too don't know the internals of it but I would think that
the solution proposed previously would work for at least some of the
cases:

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:58:56PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> There are no new files. The change is very simple.
>
> Ultimately the correct solution is to edit
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start to read:
>
>  exec -l $SHELL -c "$STARTUP"

If I'm understanding what I've looked at of the Xsession startup the
value of $STARTUP could be set prior to calling Xsession and if so will
be used as the command to start.  If not it will fall back to using the
user's personal startup config.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. --Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927