Re: Help with Router

Hi,

> I need to know how to configure Debian to connect to the router.

I'm not sure how you disable your pppoe setup but just removing any
ppp and/or pppoe packages should probably do the trick. To connect to
the router, since it is dhcp all you need to do is install a dhcp
client  (dhcp-client usually works) and then edit
/etc/network/interfaces

You can read "man interfaces" to know how to but it is really easy.
Just make sure there are two lines like this:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

There should be 2 other lines for lo and usually nothing else. Check
/etc/resolv.conf and remove any nameservers that may have been defined
there since you should normally get these automatically from your
router. If you need to set that other ip you should configure it
static, though I don't know why you would really want to.

> Second Question, how do you set up to connect to Windows Shares
I have a line like this in /etc/fstab:
//echo/sound    /mnt/sound  smbfs   username=none,password= 0       0

Where echo is the WINS hostname and sound is the name of the share,
/mnt/sound is the directory it is mounted on. You just need to have
the package smbfs installed I think and support in the kernel but this
should be there if you're using a kernel.

If you want to make your own windows-like shares you will have to set
up a samba server but it is a bit tedious to do and takes much more
time than these two simple things.

greets,
Wim