X/GNOME starts just a bit, then dies; file permissions problem?

Hello.

After upgrading X to 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 yesterday on my workstation (Radeon
7500) I can no longer get back to GNOME - when I try to `startx` I see
the usual, dotted gray X background with the black X cursor for a while
and then I'm dropped back to console. dmesg seems to be appended with
[drm:radeon_unlock] *ERROR* Process 9176 using kernel context 0
every time (the pid changes with each try).

After filing[1] bug #259639, Daniel Stone suggested I try running
`XFree86 :0 -nolisten tcp -dpi 100 & sleep 2 && DISPLAY=:0.0 gnome-session`
which ended up in

Fatal server error:
Cannot move old logfile "/var/log/XFree86.0.log.old"

which, in turn, pointed me into the general direction
of checking file permissions and suid bits.

So far I've determined that running X from the root's shell puts me in
root's GNOME (so everything seems to be working, at least driver-wise),
but doing `sudo startx` ends up in stopping at the X background with
the cursor, and I have to kill the X-server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
When I did `chmod ug+s /usr/bin/X11/XFree86`, I can `sudo startx` all
the way to the root's GNOME.

I'm a bit puzzled at this time what to try next - my laptop (with
the i830 graphic card) runs the same package configuration and GNOME
works without any problems (without suiding XFree86). Downgrading X
to 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 didn't help.

The console output, XF86Config-4 and XFree86.0.log can be seen at the
bug page[1] (I didn't want to clutter up debian-user). Thanks for your
time spent on reading this email; I'd appreciate any ideas on what
I could try next.

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--