Re: video very bad since a day or two

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:10:16 +0200, Kent West wrote:

> Sounds like some sort of video playing library has been replaced by
> Mplayer, that is hosing your playback ability.

Kent and Ryan,

I've been busy with this over the last hours.

As of now, I see 2 things:

1. Xine works dependant on the display. On the notebook (1024x768) it is
okay; on the monitor (1600x1200) it isn't.
Might have to make with the chipset and shared memory; though everything
else is fine.

2. Mplayer does a lot of crap and crashing:
3 consecutive pop-ups:

'MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown"

"MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash."

"MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
bug."

This however goes away with another audio setting. The default (alsa) does
this. Just selecting a non-default (e.g. esd) - and starting esd, mine
wasn't up - results in a functional display and (heavily) delayed audio.
No more crashes.
To confirm, I went back to Alsa and the same pop-ups as above including
crash.
IMHO this would be very weak on the side of mplayer, since there are no
indications that audio is responsible for these crashes.

I'll keep you updated should I find more; especially something about the
first item (memory ??) !

Uwe