Re: XF86Config-4 not being modified by dpkg-reconfigure

In my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file:

# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
#
# To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# as root.  Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
# XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

I think that file used to have more explicit instructions; you've
basically got to make sure that the XF86Config-4 that is used is the
same as the one that dpkg knows about, or has the same checksum, or
something.  I did it once, ages ago.