x apps won't start as root under normal user

Folks,

When I need to do file admin on my system, I often
open up Konqueror as root while logged in as a normal
user, or open up an X text editor to do the same, but
for the last couple of days, any attempt to open up an
application that depends on X returns this error:

Xlib: No protocol specified

kwrite: cannot connect to X server :0.0

Does anyone know how to fix/bypass this?

Mike