debootstrap chroot problem

I recently purchased a Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 tablet PC from eBay. It
came bare and of course I'm going to install Linux on it.

I've got an external USB 2.0 case for a 2.5" hard drive, so I'm using
that to get a base system on before putting it back into the tablet.

I've decided to use debootstrap to get the base system on since it
seems like the simplest and most straight-forward way of getting it
all set up. But debootstrap fails before it finishes and I can't
chroot into the target path.

My host system is running an up-to-date version of Debian Unstable and
a custom 2.6.7-bk15 kernel.

Steps taken (all as root):
1.) Used cfdisk to delete FAT32 partitions and create new linux partitions.
2.) Used mkfs.ext3 and mkswap to format the partitions.
3.) Mounted the target root partition to /mnt/tablet
4.) Installed debootstrap 0.2.39-1 from an unstable apt source
5.) Ran "debootstrap woody /mnt/tablet"

It then ran through the process of downloading, verifying, and
checking all the packages it needed. However, near the end it fails:

I: Extracting whiptail...
I: Extracting mbr...
chroot: cannot run command `mount': Permission denied
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt/tablet mount -t proc proc /proc
umount: /mnt/tablet/dev/pts: not found
umount: /mnt/tablet/dev/shm: not found
umount: /mnt/tablet/proc/bus/usb: not found
umount: /mnt/tablet/proc: not mounted

The exact same thing happens if I use "sid" instead of "woody".

Also, I've noticed that I can't chroot ANYWHERE:

root@fallenidol:/home/krezel# chroot /mnt/tablet/ /bin/sh
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/sh': Permission denied

It even fails if I try and run /bin/sash instead of /bin/sh, so I
don't think its a library incompatability problem (sash is a
statically compiled rescue shell).

Help!

Thanks,

--