Help USB disk

I apologize if this is a repeat - My server was down awhile and I haven't
seen my own post and not sure it got sent.  I plugged my USB disk into the
computer and bad things apparently happened!  I'm functional again, but not
sure what happened!

Could someone please tell me or direct me to an explanation of how to use a
USB disk (memory stick) on Debian unstable?  I've done this on Redhat with
the same hardware, and I've seen similar threads here, but I can't get it
going.  Thanks!  - John