Re: LPRng, Debian, and OS X

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:20:19AM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:
} I have a Debian (testing) box which runs LPRng version 3.8.27-1 as its
} printer spooler.
}
} I have set up /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/lprng/lpd.perms so that this box
} will handle print-requests from the laptops that are also part of the
} home network (the printer is connected to the parallel port of the
} Debian box).
}
} This all works great from my own laptop, which also runs Debian. But
} there is also an OS X laptop in the house, and print requests from that
} machine are refused. The resulting message in /var/log/lpr.log is:
[...]
} And please don't let the fix be `change to CUPS'.

I won't tell you to change to CUPS, but I will mention that I have an OS
X box which very happily prints to a printer connected to a Debian box
running CUPS. It required almost no setup on the OS X side (I set CUPS to
poll the right host), and only slightly more on the Debian side (setting
appropriate permissions for printers).

Good luck finding a solution that does not involve CUPS on Debian.

} Thanks very much,
} Jim
--Greg