cdparanoia rips all zeros

Howdy folks.

I'm using Debian/unstable on a Thinkpad T40 with a customized 2.6.6
kernel. I recently used grip to rip a CD and discovered that while the
first few track ripped fine, the remaining tracks were all silence. Any
subsequent rips I tried with any CD turned out to be silence. I even
tried just ripping to WAV using the cdparanoia command line, but the
resulting WAV files are all zeros (after what appears to be a small
header).

The cdparanoia FAQ says that this can happen with older versions, but of
course unstable gives me the latest.

Oh yeah, and I'm using the ATAPI interface, not the scsi emulation, so

/dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

Any ideas?

jk

PS I'm not a list subscriber so a CC would be much appreciated.