No more Alt/Meta in xterms

A couple of weeks ago the alt and meta (windows) keys stopped working
normally in an xterm.  They work in Emacs (when it has its own,
separate window), and at a text-mode console, and I can use meta-tab
to switch between windows in wmaker, but in an xterm window they
don't.

Running Sid.  Yesterday's update to 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 didn't help.

The odd thing is, they do _work_, I just have to hit them both at once
to get the effect of hitting meta.  For example, I'm editing this in
emacs within an xterm (i.e., not emacs in its own separate window),
and to rewrap the paragraph I have to type Alt-Meta-q, not just
Meta-q.

The problem showed up with the X update from a couple of weeks ago;
until then everything was working fine and I didn't change anything.

Anyone having a similar problem?  Suggestions to where to look to fix
it?

Many thanks,

--
Pete Harlan