Re: Wich brand of graphic cards?

On Monday 12 July 2004 01:10 pm, Franco Gorziglia wrote:
> I'm thinking in buy a new graphic card; Which one runs better with
> linux? Is there a brand that support better the free software with the
> appropriate drivers?

I've heard good things about Matrox as the best choice for open source, though
I haven't tried one.

NVIDIA cards are well-supported, but they require third-party drivers for 3D
support.  NVIDIA supports Linux, at least, but they refuse to open up the
source to their drivers.  You can install them from Debian (from nonfree) and
they work, but it's an extra hassle.

ATI cards reputedly work well, but I know little of nothing about them, other
than being able to say I got Knoppix up and running with 3D support on a box
with an ATI All-in-Wonder once.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/