Re: X freezes, chvt hangs.

on Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 04:55:06PM -0400, Greg Folkert (greg@gregfolkert.net) wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 05:56, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Problems with X locking up.
> >
> > Different box from the slow drive problem posted earlier.
> >
> > I've got a CappuccinoPC Mocha mini-ITX format system.  Pretty much
> > everything's onboard.
> >
> > Over the past several weeks I've had increasing problems with system
> > stability, particularly with X.  'last' shows system boots on the 8th,
> > 10th (twice) and 11th (three times).  Prior to that, 6/27, 6/9, and 6/4.
> >
> > I'm a bit concerned about thermal damage as the system runs in a warmish
> > ambient environment (95°F/35°C), and does periodically overheat and
> > lock.  Graphics is integrated to the Mobo.
> >

> > Typically, X freezes.  Mouse responds, but keyboard doesn't, including
> > modifier keys such as capslock, numlock, and scroll/lock.
> > <ctrl><alt><F[1-6]> doesn't take me to a console.
> >
> > The system as a whole is still running (I'm writing this shelled in
> > under SSH).  Process table shows X still running, as well as my full X
> > session.
>
> Might be something as simple as your keyboard spooking the keyboard
> controller on the motherboard.

Possible.  I'm using a Compaq PS/2 kbd bought a year or so back when my
trusty old original Gateway started developing some dropped keys.  I've
got a crate of others I might be able to check.

> I had issue with a "cheaper" keyboard I'd purchased from a super-sale.
> It had the neato Blue Back lighting on the keys.
>
> I plugged my OLD IBM one back in... all is better.
>
> Now, I have also heard that some USB keyboards are exhibiting a similar
> trait in the 2.6.x with udev environ... along with the PS/2 variants.

Not an issue here.

> I have also had "static build-up" with most versions of most OS. The fix
> for that was: remove keyboard from socket. give a good ole "FEELING" to
> ground it... plug it back in.

Weather's sufficiently humid (not dramatically, but sufficient) that
static _shouldn't_ be a problem.  And it never has been before, at any
rate.

Peace.

    Vote with your head:
        http://www.americanassembler.com/features/iq_state_averages.htm