Re: Keeping a customized file from being updated during package upgrade

On Monday 12 July 2004 06:31 pm, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> > remote, etc.  It helps when you have as many different terminal
> > sessions open at one time as I do.
>
> Great minds must think alike ... root is red for me, too =)

Hard to argue with that.  Great minds indeed.  :)

Incidentally, on the subject of this thread, I was just thinking...

It's impossible to avoid hand editing conf files that packages own.  It just
has to happen.  Sometimes if you use your own file, everything continues as
normal, and other times they've added or removed bits and your old file
causes breakage.  In the latter case, you have to either reconfigure from
scratch, or else manually merge your hand-edited file against the new package
version coming in.

It would be cool if this process could use a CVS-style merge instead.  I
wonder how hard it would be to do this in practice?

I guess it's not such a simple matter as merging two source files, really.  If
configParamFoo is set in your old file, but not in the new file, does that
mean to put configParamFoo into the merge, because it's an extra setting you
added, or does it mean it has been deprecated and should be removed?  Keeping
up with a list of deprecated config entries for every package could get ugly.
Either way, there are ample opportunities to cause breakage.

Still, it's a good thought.  It would make it so much easier dealing with
things that don't have a local ~/.dotfile config override.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/