Re: new to debian

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:14:01PM -0700, Michael B. Levy wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I started using GNU/Linux two and a half years ago,
> and have been a (mostly) happy Mandrake user.  I had
> always wanted to try Debian for the ease of apt-get,
> and now that I have broadband, I wanted to switch.  I
> successfully installed Sarge on my machine over the
> weekend, and there are a few quirks I need to iron
> out.
>
> 1)  I was going to copy my old /etc/fstab to the new
> installation, but I don't think that will work since
> to the best of my knowledge Debian doesn't use
> supermount or magicdev.  Is this correct?  I've never
> compiled a kernel before, and the idea of doing so is
> a challenge I look forward to overcoming.
>
> 2)  The fstab that the Sarge installer created lists
> one of my cd drives three times with different mount
> points.  Why is this?
>
> 3)  How do I figure out which /dev item corresponds to
> which drive?  I have a hdc and hdd.  Is hdc the master
> and hdd the slave?
>
> This is just for starters.  I'm having good luck
> figuring everything else out on my own.
>
> Answers to any or all of the above questions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Mike
Hi Mike,
its been a long journey... from nylug to here!
Yes debian uses automount.
what entiries are there for supermount or magicdev?
Many people use the standard debian precompiled image but there are
debian tools to make debian kernel packages that are ... beyond easy!
someone will provide the link if needed.
debian seems to like /floppy and /cdrom and a few other odd things. some
of these are setup by the 'discover' package. and they can be disabled.
have fun with debian!
-Kev
--

        (__)