Re: what package to install a *working* X?

Silvan wrote:

Once upon a time, on Woody, all I had to do was apt-get install konqueror, and that pulled in X, kdelibs, etc.

I've installed Sid a few different times lately (last few months), and I've always had problems getting X. apt-get install kde pulls in xfree86-common, I think, but there's no X, no xinit, no xterm, etc.
<snip>

Shouldn't there be one package, or one metapackage that installs a complete, working X server with all the support apps, all the screen fonts, etc. requires to make the thing useful? If so, WTF is it?

apt-get install x-window-system

And why doesn't installing konqueror or just any graphical application depend on the installation of a working X server anymore?

Because sometimes you might want to server konqueror to a thin-ish client, without having X on the server.

That hasn't been the case in months, and it seems completely broken and wrong-headed to me. What good is konqueror if you can't run it? Is there some way to run konqueror without an X server?

Sure; have a server machine, without X, that has konqueror on it. Have a client machine that has a minimal X setup, and then pull konqueror, et al, from the server.

 How about kdm?
I'm not sure, but I believe kdm can also be run on remote client machines without having the X server running on the server machine.

--
Kent