Re: Configuring X-Windows in Woody (Novice help)

Janjs Jangori wrote:

Confession: Am a complete novice and just had my first Linux installed by following the
'Installing Debian Linux 3.0(Woody)'.
However, when I login as root and type startx to get my GUI running I get the err message

x connection to :0.0 broken (Explicit kill or Server Shutdown)

This particular error means nothing. Look further up the screen (Shift-PgUp) or at the log file (/var/log/XFree86.0.log).

Part of my lspci output is:
01:0.0 VGA Compatable Controller: S3 Inc.: Unknown device 8d04.

If it were me, I'd update my kernel, and update to sid, in order to get newer software that's more likely to recognize your video chipset. Others may have different recommendations.

When I ran
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
I was asked, among other things, to supply BUSID of the format PCI:nn:nn:nn
But I couldnt get this format from my lspci output(which I guess is 8d04)

It would be PCI:1:0:0. But unless you have multiple video chipsets or are on a non-x86 (Pentium, AMD, etc) system, you should be able to leave this blank.

I also ran dselect to select,install and configure 'xserver-svga'
On typing startx, I got the following error msgs
SVGA PCI: S3 unknown chipset(0x8d04) rev 0, memory @ 0xdfe8000

Fix the BusID as mentioned above.

Looking at my monitor it is
Philips 105MB, 15"
However my XP display configuration is showing the following default settings: Chip Type:S3 ProSavage DDR, Resloution 800x600, color 32bit, Memory 32MB,and Refresh 60HZ

I really have no idea what's going on. I have reinstalled woody over 15times in each case recorded my steps but the error still persists. I'll not give up because Debian GNU/Linux
is the direction I want to take.

Except in very rare situations, reinstallations of Debian GNU/Linux is not necessary. It may be convenient, or it may be a good learning experience, but very rarely necessary.

--
Kent