Re: mounting floppy with fs auto doest recognize vfat

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 05:54:30PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 12:30:53PM +0000, Stephen Patterson (s.patterson@freeuk.com) wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:10:04 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > > When I try to mount a floppy with file system marked as auto in fstab
> > > it does recognize vfat file system (disks from windows), I have to
> > > specify vfat explicitly. Any way around that?
> >
> > You can create /etc/filesystems, a text file with 1 filesystem per
> > line. This indicates which order to attempt different filesystems for
> > devices with fs-type auto.
>
> ...and if you don't, you get autodetection in the order specified in
> /proc/filesystems.  In which msdos (8.3) precedes vfat (long filename
> support).

I think the order depends on your setup. msdos might always precede vfat
if both compiled in kernel, but if they are modules the order depends on
the order they are loaded (and if you only load vfat, msdos won't be in
/proc/filesystems).

> Peace.
Indeed.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.