weird volumn related problem

Has anyone been expierencing any problems with volumn in sarge, I have
been finding that everytime the system is shutdown, next time I start up
there is no sound, when I look at aumix t shows the volume too be fully
up as does the config file.  I also noticed last night that when playing
files with xmms at the end of each song there would be no sound, until I
touched the gnome volumn control(without actually moving it)  and the
sound would come on again.  Very frustrating.

Does anyone know what is going on here and how I may be able too resolve
this issue?