Re: starting X hangs on network timeout

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:53:09 +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:

>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:18:19 +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
>>
>> no, its caused by the machine trying to resolve its name over eth0
>> AFAIR. If the network is up. If you've configured the network, you've
>> set a hostname, so it is trying to resolvethat. add the hostname to
>> /etc/hosts and you shouldnt have any further problems. at least AFAIR
>
> What do you enter into /etc/hosts if you get the ip via DHCP?
>
> O. Wyss

I dont know, try typing 'uname -n' that prints off the hostname your
using.
if by any chance your using a static dhcp address (thats what I tend to
use, but I configure my own dhcp server) you will always be assigned the
same address and therefore always get the same name and you could enter
that into /etc/hosts. another easy option would be to set a hostname on
the pc. just enter a name into /etc/hostname. That will set a perminent
hostname on the pc, then enter that into /etc/hosts