Problem with boot-up

Hi,

I have a problem during system boot-up. Currently, I use Sarge with
kernel 2.6.6 and APM support, compiled as a module with the following

- Enable PM at boot time
- Make CPU Idle calls when idle

The first time I power on my computer (after shutdown), it doesn't
finish the boot-up process. If the package 'apmd' is installed, the
system freezes during the initialization of apmd. If not, it freezes
when gdm is starting.

Next times I try to make the system work (pressing reset button),
everything runs with no problem. It happens the same if I choose (on
power on) Windows in GRUB screen and reboot the system in Debian after
that.

It also happens that system doesn't power off properly. I have to press
power button around 3 seconds to do that.

The same problem appears with ACPI support instead APM (with the default
kernel image released with Sarge 'netinstall' CD).

I don't know what to do. I don't know if it is a BIOS problem, a power
management problem or what.

Thanks in advance