Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2004 #541

Jerome R. Acks wrote:

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:41:53PM -0400, Paul Tsai wrote:
I am looking for a good general purpose media player, like Mplayer , which does everything I want. However, there is no debian package. ok, so I compiled it from source and did a make install. However there is no gui available. In red hat there was a mplayer-gui package and that was all that was needed. I found references to an old mplayer debian package however I cannot find it.

is there an alternative to mplayer with a debian package? It may seem that I am lazy, I am, that is why I installed debian to begin which, so I did not have to chase dependencies. Now, I do not have to cause there are simply no apps available.

I used to use Mplayer (gmplayer) for everything, but for some reason it now wont play full screen... so now I use Totem for all my video stuff and it works great.... you can also use it for mp3's, etc. and get a swirly display in time with the audio...

Please note that Totem only seems available in testing and unstable (unless you can find a backport at www.apt-get.org ).

Johnny.