Re: My eth0 is gone

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:25:45 -0400
* Tong* <sun_tong_001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hysterically, after I reboot Debian, my eth0 device is gone.
>
> % networking start
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>
> % ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.99 up
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>
> Luckily, I managed to get it back. I'm just wondering,
>
> what could be the reason that I lost my eth0? I remove the
> discover package, could it be the reason? Is discover package
> really necessary?

Yes, it can. It depends on how your system was setup before you removed
discover.

> I get it back by
>
> modprobe sis900
> depmod -a
>
> Can the effect last beyond next boot (and beyond)?

Yes, it can.

Check /etc/modules and make sure sis900 is listed there. Then check
/etc/networking/interfaces and make sure you have a stanza for eth0 with
either the ip and other netorking info required, or a line telling it to
use dhcp to get eth0's ip.

HTH & HAND,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #54:
If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he
does.