ext3 Directory size or number files limit?

Hi all,

I have a Debian (Unstable "SID") web server with an ext3 partition that is the repository for the web site. One directory has gotten very big having 44 sub dirs and over 6000 large pdf files. My problem is when the user that updates the site logins in via ftp she cant see any of the sub directorys in the directory? If I move about half the files (3000 or so) to another directory all the sub directorys are visible again? This is the same on the console using the "ls" command. So it seems that there is a size or number of files limit on the file system. Is there any way to increase this limit without repartitioning? The reason this is a problem is that all of the files are made available vie the path and filename stored in a database, so I would have to change the paths on allot of db entrys. I would like to avoid this if possible.

Thanks
Ralph