Copying a file from a floppy (diff formats)?

I'm installing debian on my laptop. The laptop uses a winmodem. Downloaded the driver for it on my Windows box... XP (NTFS); ... The file that I downloaded is a linux compressed file.... extension is .gz. The exact file name is pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-3.tar. This is interesting because in windows it shows as .tar, but I was able to "see" it in debian which showed it as .gz.

Since I can see the file in debian, I should be able to extract and install.... right? How do I get the file from the floppy disk to the hard drive on my debian box?