restarting courier opens exim4 relay

I would appreciate some insight on this.

I run exim/procmail/courier combination but I am not using smtp for outmail. With courier I use courier-imap-ssl and I have mozilla connection to 6 accounts at the same time, so my MAXPERIP=40. Yesterday, I started to have "server disconnect" errors, but restarting courier (courier-authdaemon , courier-imap, courier-imap-ssl, courier-pop and courier-pop-ssl) fixed the problem. Later I noticed unusual activity on exim, and after some pocking around, I found that exim relay was fully open, and some one was sending spam. Restarting exim4 fixed open relay problem.

Today happened exactly the same (this time I checked for open relay).

I don't really know where to begin looking in to this.

Thanks,