Re: tips on using "screen"?

On Thu, Jul 01 at 06:00PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> > we'd love to hear more about your setup. ~/.bashrc aliases
> > or settings, any keyboard macros, ~/.screenrc coolness...
> > we're not picky.
>
> There's a _plethora_ of information about this already --
> search the net.

an excess of blood in one organ? very helpful*.

originally, i thought i had asked Kai, thinking that he might
enjoy showing us (or at least me) what he's learned, sharing
tips and so forth, using this public forum for the process. i
could have meant Tom, it's hard to tell.

unfortunately, "screen" is an extremely generic term.

	screen actors guild
	flat-panel screen
	silver screen
	screen savers
	screen capture
	industrial screen filters

but keeping closer to home, i check the likely suspects:

gnu.org/software/screen is beyond terse (but has lots of
plethora).  savannah.gnu.org/projects/screen has source code
(no usage tips, though heavily plethoral). tldp.org responses
when searching for "screen" is <empty> (but very plethoric).

just inquiring about usage tips from folks who use it -- note
that if you're too busy to be bothered with this mundane kind of
inquiry, then please don't be bothered. pretend i asked Kai,
instead. have a nice day.

*not (even using the intended definition "an excess")

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #124 from dman <dsh8290@rit.edu>
:
So you've decided to BLOCK ALL TRAFFIC EXCEPT SSH.  What you
need to do is specify the port to allow.  ssh uses port 22 by
default -- With iptables try:
    iptables -A INPUT -p TCP --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
This says that in the input chain, for tcp packets, if the port
number matches ssh in /etc/services then accept the packet
regardless of IP addresses.  (This should give you a pointer
towards the necessary ipchains options if you don't have
iptables available.)