Re: Wireless newbie with WaveLan on Dell

Kent West wrote:

Dell Inspiron 1100, Debian Sid, PCMCIA Lucent WAVELAN Gold wireless card. When I insert it, I hear the two beeps indicative of a successful card insertion

I'm running 2.6.6-2-686. I've tried running "modconf" to insert the wavelan_cs

Discovered the "wavelan_cs" module to be unnecessary.

Module                  Size  Used by
orinoco_cs              9320  1
orinoco                43884  1 orinoco_cs
hermes                  8640  2 orinoco_cs,orinoco

I have a vague idea of needing to enable wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces, but that doesn't do me any good.

westk@westkent02:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

I powered down the laptop; removed the Wavelan card, rebooted. Then ran dmesg, inserted the Wavelan, waited for the two beeps, then reran dmesg and compared. Now dmesg showed references to the card and to "eth1". So I changed the "wlan0" to "eth1", shut down the network,unplugged the wired ethernet cable, and then restarted the network ("/etc/init.d/networking start") and BANG! The wireless network works! Whoo-hoo!

--
Kent