Re: Changing from testing to unstable.

Sylvain Vedrenne wrote:

Thomas Adam wrote:

--- Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

To change from testing to unstable, is is as simple as
s/testing/unstable in /etc/apt/sources.list, `apt-get update` and
`apt-get upgrade` (or do I need to use dist-upgrade for this)?

Basically, yes.

"dist-upgrade" implies "upgrade", but more importantly a dist-upgrade
installs dependant packages external to those not already installed, which
an upgrade does not (see the manpage for apt-get).
If I have problems with a package from unstable and want to revert to a
lower-numbered version, how would I do so?

In the first place, the package 'apt-listbugs' can help you avoid some critical bugs (those that are already known at the time you apt-get install <some_packages>).

Bloody hell!
Dolphin:~# apt-get install apt-listbugs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
 dpkg-ruby libdpkg-ruby1.8 libintl-gettext-ruby libintl-gettext-ruby1.8
 libzlib-ruby libzlib-ruby1.8
 apt-listbugs dpkg-ruby libdpkg-ruby1.8 libintl-gettext-ruby
 libintl-gettext-ruby1.8 libzlib-ruby libzlib-ruby1.8
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 182kB of archives.
After unpacking 786kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

--

Cheers
John