Re: Scheme (Re: Visual C++?????)

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 19:41, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Introductory Computer Science should not be taught with C++ anyhow...
> CS should be introduced with Scheme.  It's a superior teaching language.
>
>  http://www.htdp.org/
>  http://www.teach-scheme.org/
>
> The introduction to htdp explains the philosophy behind my statement
> above.  What do you think?

Cool. I have heard Pascal referred as the ideal teaching language. BB (Before
Borlant), I did large stuff in ISO Pascal--the compiler was a front for the
assembler and this made it very easy to fill in the missing pieces (like
random file access). One can still do stuff in Delphi (latest Borland Pascal
derivitive) that is just too hard to do in Msoft VC++/

Scheme is a LISP-child but really is cute.