Re: Disaster Recovery

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:02:49PM +0100, Mark McRitchie wrote:
} Hi,
}
} > By saving the output of
} >
} > dpkg --get-selections
} >
} > and feeding it to
} >
} > dpkg --set-selections
} >
} > and running
} >
} > apt-get dselect-upgrade
}
} How does that handle a package which has its selection set to "hold"?

It merely sets the state to hold without installing it. I recommend
taking the results of dpkg --get-selections and making another version
with all hold lines set to install. Then dpkg-repack all packages you
are holding, unless you can find the original .debs (dpkg-repack has
some issues with config files -- see the man page for details). Save the
.debs for the held packages along with the two versions of the
selections list.

Incidentally, I recommend using dpkg --get-selections \* so that you get
the state of *all* packages (including those you have removed or
purged). Otherwise your system will be a union of whatever was installed
and what you want.

} Regards,
} Mark.
--Greg