Re: latency Re: ide: Assuming 33MHz

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 02:58 pm, Alvin Oga wrote:

> for best latency performance:
> i'm assuming that you have 15K rpm scsi disks or even 10K ide disks to
> eliminate disk latency

Yep.

> and one ide disk per ide cable and ..  and you're using fastest speed ddr
> memory your mb supports

Nope.  We're using the fastest ECC DIMMS we could find.

> and tons of memory in the mb, 2GB seems to make some systems run
> "10x faster" since its all in memory instead of disk

Just 1.5GB.

> and you've tuned nfs and the tcp stack to minimum latency for
> fastest delivery across the wire

Gig-eth across a FreeBSD server.

Yeah, we've done some work on it.  :)

> but if they other end is on a 56K dialup, it wont matter that we can
> deliver content in 10^-99 seconds

The biggest bottleneck is that our site does a lot of image manipulation for
various reasons.  When the user has just requested that we turn a bunch of
300DPI scanned TIFFs into a single PDF, we'd be hard-pressed to overspec our
processing and memory needs.  That's the kind of latency reduction I find
myself optimizing for.

Ain't no way I would've told my boss to spend this much on a PHP web
forum.  :)

> and more smileys ... :-)

Received loud and clear. :)
--