Re: Visual C++?????

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 02:02:28PM -0500, cecil wrote:
> Ok, yet again, my prof wants us to use Visual C++. I have not yet talked
> to him about this. I have decided that I will HAVE to use X, so I guess
> I'm looking for a IDE that will approximate this. I know of anjuta,
> kdevelop, and motor(console mode app). Any ideas, suggestions, or
> comments? The new head of the department is English! I know it doesn't
> matter, but he's funny as hell. Very much a lighthearted guy. I had him
> before. Anyway...

The funny thing is Microsoft doesn't use Visual C++ to build Windows.
(I know.)  The build system starts with something called razzle.cmd
which runs gobs of perl scripts, and lets you build Windows any damn
place you feel (although most people use X:\NT).

Some people use VS for debugging, although cdb is more common.  Most
people use vi; *some* people use devenv.exe for editing files, but of
course they don't use Visual Studio projects.

All the MS toolchain for building their products is completely command
line, makefile driven, and nothing is run from setup.exe -- it's all
just copy and run.  Microsoft *definitely* does not do development the
way they tell you to do it -- in reality the MS toolchain and the rest
of the world's toolchains aren't all that different.

That said, don't rock the boat: just get at least 1GB of memory, and get
yourself a student edition of VMWare, and run Visual Studio inside of XP
or Server 2003 in VMWare.

KDevelop is a reasonable enough facsimile of VStudio for learning C++
examples with a few files.  If you practice a bit, you should probably
be able to do all your work in KDevelop or whatever Linux environment of
your choice, then to check in just create a new VStudio project and
copy/paste your code into the same kinds of files; however as a student
you may have trouble understanding and isolating the slight differences
between Linux makefiles and VStudio project settings.

Oh and your professor is an idiot.