Re: wireless

hi ya nx

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, nx13372 wrote:

> I'm a bit (well... a lot) confuse about wi-fi! I'm using Debian Sid, kernel 2.6.6-2 or 2.4.26-1
> I'm also using a desktop machine, not a laptop.
> As far as I understand I only need ndiswrapper, in case of not having a supported card, right!?

yup

> Lots of how-tos talk about pcmcia, since I'm using a desktop I don´t need pcmcia, rigth!?

you don't need pcmcia if you dont want to use pcmcia cards
	- some folks like to use the same pcmcia card on the laptop in
	their desktop with an pci adpator that came with it

> Just suppose my card is supported and I have the right kernel module load.
> Or better, suppose my card is prism2 card. If I don´t use DHCP I will not need pump?

yup

static ip# is "better" anyway

> The configuration of wlan0 is done in /etc/network/interfaces?

every package and distro puts their wireless options "everywhere"
	- copy your eth0 config file, add a few wireless options to it

> Can somebody show me an example, please.

http://www.linux-wireless.org/Install-HOWTO/other-config-files/
	- may or may not be what you need

> Are these the minimal necessary packages?
> # apt-get install linux-wlan-ng linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.4.26-1 wireless-tools

and a sniffer ( kismet + ethereal )

c ya
alvin