Re: Debian + The New PowerBook G4s

Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:

<snip>

This post is really aimed at the Debian PPC users.  I was wondering if:

Writing to debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org would perhaps be better appropriated than ;-)

* Debian (Sarge/Sid at the current time) works on this PowerBook (I'd be
going for the 15'' model).

yes, as far as I know it is working just fine.

* There are any known limitations with Debian on this Machine.
* What hardware does/doesn't work -- e.g. Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless
Ethernet, FireWire 800, Audio, Graphics (ATi Radeon 9700 Mobile).

Airport Extreme is not working (yet? - I heard that there were some folks doing some reverse engineering, haven't got a clue how far they have come thought...), that means you probably won't be able to get wireless lan under linux on that machine. :( That is, as of now, the only point keeping me of from buying myself an iBook, the lack of support for 802.11g...

* Have there been any production issues like there were in the past
(blotch screens, loose catches)?  I've not found mention of any so far
but I never owned a Mac and am not sure which are the best sites to look
at for information like this.

Once again, as far as I have heart, those production problems have been sorted out.

Friendly,

Bob Hentges
--
http://bob.hentges.lu/