Re: raise user accounts max fd

2004. június 29. 16:05,
nx13372 <nx13372a@net.vodafone.pt>
-> debian-user@lists.debian.org:
> > Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am running "Linux [hidden] 2.4.25-bf2.4 #1 SMP Wed Mar 10
> >> 10:35:09 PST 2004 i686 unknown" and would like to know how to
> >> raise a user accounts max file descriptors (FDs, shown via ulimit
> >> -n) from the default 1024 to 4096, to allow an IRC daemon more
> >> permitted open files.
> >>
> >> After adding the lines:
> >> ircd hard nofile 4096
> >> ircd soft nofile 4096
> >>
> >> to /etc/security/limits.conf at the end of the file (they are not
> >> commented out), and re-logging into the ircd user terminal and
> >> typing: ulimit -n
> >>
> >> The count still appears as 1024, not the new 4096 figure.
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >> Any help is appreciated,
Hi Ross!

The /etc/security/limits file is working together only with pam enabled
applications. It has nothing to do with the ulimit app (but plz correct
me if I'm wrong). If you want to make the "ulimit -n 4096" setting
permanent, you should add that to the ircd user's ~/.bashrc (if it has
a home dir).

Best wishes,

Daniel

--