Re: man locale problems.

Chris Metzler wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:01:29 -0400
Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

Allan Wind wrote:

On 2004-06-28T19:44:38-0400, Tom Allison wrote:

tallison@isengard:~$ man passwd
man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
Reformatting passwd(1), please wait...

What do you have them set to?  I have "LANG=en_US.UTF-8; export LANG"
(in .profile) with the following in locale.gen: "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8". As some man pages contain stuff that do not render right, I often do:
LANG=C man ...

I don't have a ~/.profile, just /etc/profile.
And that doesn't have anything for LANG.
In fact, when I 'echo $LANG' I get..  nothing.

Sounds like you didn't generate and configure locales at
installation?

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-l10n
should help.

-c

I thought I fixed it, but then it appears that I haven't. Since these machines will be used a lot with Perl, I really need to get this fixed. As much as I hate to think this, I may have to run a dpkg-reconfigure simply because "something went wrong".

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LANG = (unset)
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory