Re: ide: Assuming 33MHz

Dan Jacobson wrote:

Upon boot, one sees
"ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx".
But upon reading e.g.,
http://storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA.html
one feels their computer sounds more like the 100Mhz kind.
How can one tell if one is taking full advantage of the hardware?

Maybe I am, as I see "IDE UDMA100 controller" in dmesg etc. output
(that I put in http://jidanni.org/comp/system.zip)

That's the PCI bus, not UDMA etc. Unless your hardware is broken or miscovfigured, you're not using PIO. PIO is CPU-intensive, and you really orght be using DMA. And probably are.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait