RE: RTL8139 Full Duplex with a non-modular kernel

Thanks for the reply. Still having a few issues..

------------------------
kryten:~# ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

kryten:~# reboot

kryten:~# grep eth0 /var/log/dmesg
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xe0800000, 00:e0:4c:e9:5b:db, IRQ 11
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
eth0: link up, 10Mbps, half-duplex, lpa 0x0000

kryten:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:

        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: off
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: d
------------------------

I thought it strange that once rebooted the card was picked up as 10MB HD
but ethtool shows 100MB FD? I'm pretty sure the card is running at 100MB as
the switch shows the link at 100MB (is only a cheapo switch, does not show
about the duplex setting) but I'm curious about the duplex setup. FTP is
only transferring at 500KB/s so something is definiately screwy.

Also is I use the command "ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half autoneg off"
the 100MB light on the switch does go off.

I decided to test my other linux box which is setup with a modular kernal
with the identical network card and found it is transfering at 5MB/s.. I'm
am now confused...

GS