Re: which dhcp client should be used?

thanks all for the replies. Looks like dhcp-client is relatively easy to configure (compared to dhcp3-client) . I am able to get dhcp-client up and running. I will probably try pump during the weekend and get back to you.

thanks again
raju

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
I am interested in setting up my machine as a dhcp client. Doing apt-cache search for dhcp clients on unstable debian, I get

dhcp-client - DHCP Client
dhcp3-client - DHCP Client
dhcpcd - DHCP client for automatically configuring IPv4 networking

I would like to know which is the preferred one? What are the differences between these? Any documentation on these would be nice.

Apparently dhcp-client and dhcp3-client are not compatible with each other. Because when installing dhcp3-client, apt-get wants to remove dhcp-client.

regards
raju

--
Home page: http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/index.html